2.20.2009

Timber, Oil, Gum, and Resin


Some drawings seem as if they'll never end. This one has been in progress for so long I began to suspect that was its only state of being. But this week brought about the end, and I feel that peculiar combination of relief and doubt that always accompanies the conclusion of an artwork. This is a fleeting sentiment however; one that is quickly consumed by the compulsion to create something else. In my mind I already have grand plans for silver leaf, waterfalls, and the elusive texture of fog.

2 comments:

Amy Lou said...

You know me, I ain't no artist, but that there is quite beautiful, even through the limited colors and textureless non-detail of my computer screen's reduction.

I like the empty space. And the lines that make the whole piece look like an old photograph that someone has creased and folded to fit in their pocket. Their very big pocket.

Jeffrey T. Baker said...

Thanks Amy! This drawing takes many cues from the scaffolding image handsomely displayed behind your couch— except with this drawing I made sure to suffer mightily over many months so as to avoid the confusing feeling of having not worked hard enough. Oh, penitential Christian upbringing. . .